At St. Christopher's Hospital for Children, we believe our patients' families are partners in the information-sharing and decision-making process regarding their child's care. St. Christopher's recognizes that families play a vital role in their child's healing process. Parents, legal guardians, and primary caregivers are essential members of the healthcare team in helping the patient overcome illness or injury. St. Christopher's is committed to working in collaboration with patients and their families to draw from their knowledge and strengths. We recognize that the great diversity of cultural characteristics is a source of strength for families and their caregivers.
Available at St. Christopher's to assist parents/families are:
- Twenty-four hour access to patients. Upon admission to the hospital, parents are issued two clip-on parent passes. Sibling visits are also welcome.
- A parent bed next to each child's bed in the medical/surgical units on the 4th and 5th floors to provide support and comfort for the patient and parent.
- A Family Resource Center located on the 4th floor behind the main elevators. It is equipped with an Internet-accessible computer, printer, and fax machine for parents' use. It also includes a wide range of printed materials for parents. It is open 24 hours a day.
- A Medical Library located on the ground floor, where a medical librarian will assist parents in learning more about their child's illness.
- Signage throughout the hospital and near doorways, a staffed Information Desk, and our friendly employees to help make your visit to St. Chris easier.
- Late night dining hours at the lobby coffee shop.
- A bedside telephone provided at no charge for local calls on the 4th and 5th floors.
- Access to a Parent Advisory Council.
- Inpatient and outpatient support groups available to parents and families.
- Informal resource and support sessions led by a Family Consultant.