Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Skip Navigation LinksJared's-Story

Jared's Story

The celebration of trick-or-treating is surrounded by dressing up and having yummy treats with friends, not experiencing life threatening accidents. Jared and his family, in costume, went to a friend’s house before trick-or-treating when his mom quickly noticed someone running out the front door.  She witnessed the last thing anyone would expect to see - your child on the front lawn in flames.  Jared's mom threw him onto the ground and continued to roll him over and over until the flames were out. Jared encountered a small jack-o-lantern candle inside, which accidentally caused his costume to catch fire.


Jared was quickly transported to the only dedicated pediatric burn center in the region, St. Christopher's Hospital for Children's Burn Center for Children.   Thirty-five percent of his body was covered in second and third degree burns.  During his stay at St. Christopher's, he endured multiple surgeries, blood transfusions, occupational therapy and mental health support,. The whole team at St. Christopher’s dedicated their focus on nurturing and guiding Jared back to his family and to his childhood.

Over the next twenty six days of working hard with the medical professionals from St. Christopher's, Jared kept his spirits and motivation high.  He returned home quicker than expected.  We are so proud of Jared's resilience, he is a strong and amazing kid! 

Explore all of St. Christoper's Hospital for Children  
© 2018 St. Christopher's Hospital for Children, All Rights Reserved