At St. Christopher's Hospital for Children, we believe our patients' families are partners in the information-sharing and decision-making process regarding their child's care. St. Christopher's recognizes that families play a vital role in their child's healing process. Parents, legal guardians, and primary caregivers are essential members of the healthcare team in helping the patient overcome illness or injury. St. Christopher's is committed to working in collaboration with patients and their families to draw from their knowledge and strengths. We recognize that the great diversity of cultural characteristics is a source of strength for families and their caregivers.
Available at St. Christopher's to assist parents/families are:
- Parents have twenty-four hour access to patients. Upon admissions to the hospitals, parents are issued parent I.D. bands that they need to keep on until their child is discharged. Sibling visits are also welcomed, check with your child’s nurse about siblings visiting patients.
- A parent sleeper chair is available at each child’s bedside to provide support and comfort for the patient and parent.
- A Medical Library located on the ground floor, where a medical librarian will assist parents in learning more about their child’s illness.
- Signage throughout the hospital and near doorways, a staffed Information Desk and our friendly employees to help make your visit to St. Chris easier.
- Cafeteria and late night dining hours at the lobby coffee shop along with an array of vending machines on the ground floor.
- A bedside telephone provided at no charge for local calls on the 4th and 5th floors.
- There is a patient advocate on site Monday-Friday for patients and patient’s families who have any issues or concerns regarding their child’s stay.
- Our Social Worker staff is available to advocate for patients/families in a variety of ways. Social Workers help to ensure that parents/caregivers have a voice as part of the healthcare team for in patient, out-patient, specialty and primary clinics.
- The Child Life team at St. Christopher’s works with the patients and their families to explain hospitalization using language the patients/families can understand as well as using play to assist with reducing stress and increasing coping.
- A gift shop on the premises with an assortment of gifts, cards, balloons, beverages and snacks are available.
- A new tower which includes an enclosed sky walk that allows you to park in the garage and walk to the hospital in inclement weather.
- Pastoral Care is available 24/7 for your spiritual and emotional needs.