The Section of Neurology is one of the area's leading providers of comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic programs for acute and chronic disorders of the central and peripheral nervous systems. Programs respond to the individual medical and psychological needs of children with conditions including:
- Epilepsy and other seizure disorders
- Tics and other movement disorders
- Neonatal neurology problems (neonatal seizures, perinatal asphyxia)
- Neurometabolic and neurogenetic diseases
- Migraine and other chronic headaches
- Spasticity in conditions such as cerebral palsy
- Muscular dystrophy, neuropathies, and other neuromuscular disorders
- Mental retardation, autism, attention deficit hyperactivity (ADHD) and other learning disabilities
- Neurological sleep disorders
Sleep Center for Children
We are constantly seeking ways to reduce the suffering of children. One of the most convenient and innovative ways to diagnose epilepsy is through at-home, 24-hour EEG monitoring devices. This technique enables children to be monitored for seizures at home while sleeping, which may reduce the need for hospital visits. Click here to learn more about our Sleep Center.
St. Christopher's Neurology Section operates the Mitochondrial Disorders Lab, which is one of only five centers in the country equipped to analyze mitochondrial metabolism in mitochondria isolated from fresh muscle biopsy, as well as in frozen muscle and fibroblasts. For more information about this service, please call (215) 427-8372.
Other services offered:
- Botox injections for spasticity
- Sleep disorder evaluation/sleep studies, including routine polysomnography and studies for narcolepsy
- New antiepileptic drugs and special diets for the treatment of epilepsy
- Vagal nerve stimulator therapy for epilepsy
- Special programs of the Section include the Epilepsy Center, a Neuromuscular Disorders Program, a Sleep Disorders Program, a PKU Program, and the Mitochondrial Disorders Center
Important Phone Numbers
- PKU Clinic: (215) 427-5470
- Epilepsy Center: (215) 427-5470
- Mitochondrial Center: (215) 427-8372
St. Christopher's Hospital for Children in Philadelphia has highly qualified experts who are specially trained to work with the individual and unique needs of infants and pediatric patients. The team is led by Agustin Legido, MD, PhD, MBA, Chief, Section of Neurology. To view a list of our specialists, click here.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, call (215) 427-5470 or click here to visit our other locations.