Pediatric Trauma Center
When your child is hurt, whether from a bad fall, serious burn or other trauma, you want care close to home. St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children’s Level 1 Trauma Center is capable of highly specialized treatments for critically injured children. St. Christopher’s doctors are skilled at treating injuries ranging from burns to severe multi-system traumas. A team of dedicated pediatric specialists provides compassionate individualized care for your child, from the moment of arrival through to recovery and rehabilitation. And as the only dedicated pediatric burn facility in the area, St. Christopher’s Burn Center are trained to work specifically with young burn patients.
St. Christopher’s 24-hour services include:
- Emergency Department with 24 examining rooms fully staffed with pediatric emergency physicians, pediatric trauma surgeons and pediatric anesthesiologists.
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) staffed with pediatric critical care specialists.
- Specially trained pediatric surgeons specializing in orthopedic, plastic, trauma, transplant and neurosurgery.
- Radiology services, including magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and computed tomography (CT) scans.
- Dedicated Burn Center that includes a team of specialists made up of plastic surgeons, pediatric surgeons, pediatricians, nurses, social workers and other specially trained health care professionals to treat young burn victims and any emotional problems resulting from their injuries.
- In-house surgical team and a dedicated operating room suite.
- Laboratory capabilities with short turnaround times for lab testing.
- Experienced social workers and child life specialists to assist families and comfort children.
- One of three Level 1 Trauma Centers in the region, capable of highly specialized treatment of the most critically injured pediatric patients.
Other services available at St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children include:
- Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) designed for reversible acute respiratory failure.
- Blood Conservation Program
- Cardiopulmonary bypass
- Renal dialysis
- Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy.
Patient transport is available 24 hours a day using two pediatric ambulances each staffed by two pediatric critical care nurses and an EMT with training and expertise in transport medicine (including resuscitation and stabilization). Emergency transport by ground, helicopter or fixed wing can be arranged by calling one of our Transport Team representatives at (215) 427-6900.
The Trauma Services Division is available to provide presentations on topics such as:
- Blunt abdominal trauma/management of solid organ injury
- Management of pediatric burns
- Resuscitation & stabilization of a child with traumatic injury
- Traumatic brain injury/management of head injury
- Preparation of pediatric trauma patients for transport
- Overview of pediatric trauma
- Pediatric maxillofacial trauma
For more information on the Trauma Center or educational programs, call (215) 427-4619.
Injury Prevention and Outreach
Trauma team professionals provide education and resources on injury prevention to elementary, middle and high school students as well as families and members of the community. Topics include:
- Safety: Bike, car, pet, fire, gun, home, pedestrian, school bus, sun and water safety
- Youth violence prevention
- General injury prevention
For information on injury prevention programs or our car seat program, contact Frances Nelson, injury prevention and outreach coordinator, at (215) 427-4880.
Memberships and Affiliations
St. Christopher's Hospital for Children has highly qualified experts who are specially trained to work with the individual and unique needs of infants and pediatric patients. The team is led by, Harsh Grewal, MD, Medical Director, Trauma. To view a list of our specialists, click here.